Day 1: Personal Leadership Insights
Monday, Sept 20, 2021 (8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Opening General Session – Bryan kicks of the BWLA with a high energy discussion around “What is a STRONG Leader.” This will set the foundation that you will build from for the remainder of the Academy.
- Why Should Anyone Follow You?– “Why Should Anyone Follow You?” is a critical question for all leaders to think about and answer. In this session you will spend some time exploring what you offer that would make people want to follow you. This session is highly interactive and will leave you feeling empowered about your ability to lead.
- Introduction to Strength-Based Management: In this module, we will introduce you to the concept of strength-based management through the formula, (Talent + Fit) x Investment = Growth. With this knowledge you will gain a greater understanding of how to grow yourself, your team, and individuals in ways that maximizes their potential by harnessing their true talents. We will explore the concept of how to be an effective leader with activities that may change how you think about growth and potential!
- Breakout Group A: Your Leadership Mission Statement – – “Your Leadership Mission Statement” is an amazing opportunity to have Bryan facilitate you through the process of creating your leadership mission statement.
- Breakout Group B: Leadership Strengths Workshop: During this highly interactive breakout session, you will have the opportunity to think about why you want to be a leader and the ways in which you can make the most of your talents and motives. We will take you on a journey that prompts you to explore the ways in which you will need to think, act, and be in order to be highly effective. This session may just cause you to have an epiphany or two!
- Maximizing Team Engagement – This general session will focus on how to keep your team engaged everyday. What does your team expect from you, as their leader, and what can you expect from them? In this session, you will explore those questions as well as discuss practical ways to motivate and engage each person on your team.
- The Masks We Wear – Xaulanda Simmonds-Emmanuel will lead a powerful workshop, called “The Masks We Wear”. This session will show how leaders how to remove barriers between them and their team. These barriers negatively impact their effectiveness and type of passion they experience in the workplace. This dynamic session will utilize self-reflection, creativity, and storytelling to explore the masks that leaders intentionally or unintentionally wear. Leaders will increase their self-awareness by identifying how they show up while assessing how they would like to show up.
Day 2: Leading Teams
Tuesday, Sept 21, 2021 (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- 7.5 Keys to Sustained Exceptional Service on Your Team – There are 7.5 keys to sustained exceptional service on your team. This session will let you explore the daily leadership habits and proven tactics to sustain service excellence on your team.
- The Power of Feedback – The Power of Feedback is an interactive group session led by Bryan. He will work with the group to explore the role of feedback for leaders. What happens to high performer morale when you don’t give feedback? What happens to your customers? What are the ramifications to your role as a leader?
- Your Purpose as a Leader: The content of this session will hit on how you will need to think and what you will need to do in order to ensure that you have an engaged team who wants you to lead them. We want you to consider what and how you will inspire, motivate, coach, and/or mentor the people around you to help them fulfill their true potential.
- 5 Keys to Break Barriers, Set Your Path, and Become the Leader You Are Meant to Be: This powerful session will be led by Angella Reid, who has channeled decades of luxury hospitality experience into leadership roles at some of the world’s finest hotels and at The White House Executive Residence. She will share practical tips for progressing through your career and positively impacting others along the way.
- Breakout Group A: A Letter to Yourself– As you wrap up your time at the BWLA, you will have time to write a letter to yourself to reflect on your journey and how you will keep it going. How often do you leave a conference and wish the energy created during your time there would continue? Your letter to yourself will help remind you of your journey and all that you gained at the academy.
- Breakout Group B: Your Strength Development Plan (SDP): Prior to the BWLA, you completed an assessment and had a feedback call with a Talent Plus Leadership Coach who helped you begin to build out a SDP focused on your areas of greatest strength/potential. In this session, we will help you to refine your SDP by applying what you have learned so far into the creation of a more detailed and robust plan that will guide your actions when you are back on the job.